Tuesday, March 1, 2016

New Running Shoes That Really Work

While I get no financial support from the Hoka shoe company, I wanted to share my personal experience. I recently started wearing the Hoka Bondi 3. These shoes are what I would call a "maximalist" shoe. They are thick, slightly heavy and rugged. That said, they are the most comfortable running shoes I have ever worn. Full disclosure, I am not a marathoner. I run for exercise, typically, less than 3 miles per run. Even at this low mileage, I was having knee pain and low back pain. I have a neutral to suppinated foot type and I do wear custom orthotics. People with this foot type are known to strike the ground hard with transfer of energy to the low back. Typically, my running takes place on sidewalks, not the most forgiving of surfaces. Enter the Hoka Bondi 3. They are slightly heavy (2.2 pounds for size 13s). Now, my old sneakers were 2.0 pounds, so we are not talking about a huge change. They feel thick. When you walk in them initially, they feel almost "squishy," but you get used to it very quickly. On my first run, I felt an immediate difference. No knee or back pain. I felt like I was running on clouds, seriously. 4 of the 5 doctors in my practice use them at this point. If you would like to try them, they cost about $150 and the fit true to size. Check out a pair and see what you think. I will not be going back. I am a believer. Committed to your health, Dr. Craig Conti Sarasota Foot Care Center www.sarasotafootcarecenter.com

No comments: