Friday, February 13, 2015

Are You Embarrassed by Your Feet?

Feeling embarrassed or ashamed of your feet is very common. According to a study of 500 women in 2008 by the American Podiatric Medical Association, more than 50% of women say their feet embarrass them "always, frequently, or sometimes." Let's be honest about feet. Many things can go wrong with the skin, the bone structure and the nails. Feet sweat...a lot and they often smell. Many people refuse to wear open shoes due to embarrassment. The good news is that many of these issues are fixable. Rough, dry, cracked skin can easily be treated with urea based creams. Red, splotchy rashes can be treated with hydrocortisone creams or antifungals, depending on the situation. Thick, discolored nails can be treated with a variety of antifungals, from topical liquids to oral pills to laser therapy. Crooked or otherwise deformed toes can be addressed surgically if there is pain associated, which is often the case. The recovery time for these procedures varies, but in many instances you can walk in a protective cast/boot the first day after surgery. Sweaty/smelly feet can be treated with topical antiperspirants. Of course, I make all of this sound easy. I am a foot doctor, after all. To me, it is literally "just a day at the office." If you are suffering from any of these issues, or if your feet embarrass you for a reason I missed, there is help available. You don't have to just live with it. Also, for any women who are concerned about the size of your feet, I promise you that men don't even notice. I am a foot doctor. I look at women's feet. It is a reflex. I have never judged a women for having big feet. Never. I hope this helps you feel pretty with Valentine's Day right around the corner. Committed to your health, Dr. Craig Conti Sarasota Foot Care Center http://www.sarasotafootcarecenter.com

4 comments:

Jordan said...

Great post. I would definitely include myself in the women who often feel embarrassed by feet - but it is important to keep in mind how treatable a lot of the things we're ashamed of are. Thanks for sharing!

Jordan said...

Great post! I know a lot of people (including myself back in the day) who are embarrassed about their feet. It's good to know that podiatrists are there to help.

Jordan said...

Some important points here. It's common for people to be shy about their feet - but a lot of the reasons why are fixable. Thanks for sharing these tips!

Anonymous said...

Good site.